Have you cleaned your jewelry recently? Taking care of your jewelry is essential if you want to keep it looking beautiful and ready to be worn for any occasion. If you forget the importance of cleaning and maintenance, your favorite piece of jewelry might fall victim to tarnish and damage. Regular cleaning and following some simple maintenance tips could go a long way in maintaining the beauty of your precious pieces. In the past we’ve shared how to maintain your diamond jewelry, but lets look at how to do the same for your gold jewelry.
Cleaning your jewelry too often could cause excessive wear, but not cleaning it enough will lead to the obvious deterioration, discoloration and dirt buildup. So, what exactly is the ideal timetable for cleaning your jewelry? Cleaning your jewelry at home at the change of every season is the perfect rate to keep your jewelry in pristine shape. It keeps your pieces fresh for all your new seasonal festivities you enjoy, but stays clear of that over the top treatment that will lead to excessive wear.
How exactly does one go about cleaning their gold jewelry? Follow these simple steps from the comfort of your own home:
- Fill a bowl with warm water. You don’t want this water to be too hot.
- Add just a drop or two of your favorite dish soap.
- Let your jewelry soak in the water for roughly 15 minutes.
- Remove the jewelry and scrub it lightly with a soft bristled toothbrush. Scrubbing too hard could damage the piece.
- Rinse under tap water, and pat dry with a kitchen towel. Avoid using paper towels, as they can potentially scratch the metal.
- Repeat if needed until it is sparkling like the first day you got it!
Cleaning your jewelry at home is very simple. Couple regular cleanings with quarterly inspection with your jeweler and could add years to the lifespan of your gold. But at the end of the day, you just cannot beat a proper cleaning by a professional. Consider scheduling a cleaning appointment with your local jeweler at least once a year, on top of your own personal care. With their training and professional eye, they’ll ensure to touch up anything you may have missed.
Now that you know how and when to clean your gold, here are some simple tips to help avoid getting your gold jewelry dirty or damaged in the first place.
- Don’t wear your jewelry in pools. The chlorine and water can lead to your piece being tarnished and you to avoid trapped moisture
- Don’t sleep with jewelry on. Fidgeting in your sleep could potentially lead to your jewelry getting caught on your bed sheets and bending it out of shape.
- Avoid wearing your jewelry during strenuous physical activities. For example, going to the gym, rock climbing, gardening, preparing food. All of these activities could easily dirty up your jewelry and potentially damage them as well.
Our experts here at Chrysella are here for you! If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact our friendly experts. Schedule an appointment with us today to get your jewelry cleaned and shop through our selection of beautiful pieces and custom jewelry.